I’m sure you’re familiar with the ubiquitous “25 things about me” lists that people keep sending out… Well, here’s one more for you to read. Like it or not.
1. I am a fervent foodie. I cook, read, write and breathe good food. From fine dining to fair fare. I am in love with food and people and the way the two are inextricably linked.
2. I wear glasses and have since I was 6. Yes, SIX. The first pair of glasses I had were pink and I despised them, even trying on several occasions to break them, to no avail. The first day I wore them to school, one of my classmates, Joey Molnar, made fun of me and my “four eyes.” He teased me for 3 days straight. And on the third day, I’d had enough of his teasing. I punched him in the face and knocked his glasses off. Yeah, he wore glasses, too. I was able to break his specs, but not my own. Such is life, I learned.
3. I don’t believe in paying more than $30 for a pair of jeans. I just don’t. As long as they are long enough (down to the middle of the heel of my boots/shoes), the right color (darker is better) and my butt looks cute in them, I’m sold. I enjoy and I’ve been blessed with nice things, but whenever possible, I prefer to live frugally, simply and, eventually, leave a legacy.
4. I love scary movies. Love them. But when I watch them, I’m afraid for days afterward. Meaning I’ll have to jump into the bed (or else a monster could grab my ankle!) and sleep with the light on. But I’ll still watch…
5. My two favorite songs (as of the typing of this sentence) are “In a Sentimental Mood,” written by Duke Ellington and performed by John Coltrane and “Visions” by Stevie Wonder. Something about them make me want to love, dance, sigh and weep all at once.
6. I always forget to buy beverages when I go to the grocery store. I don’t think about it until someone comes over and I realize that all I have is almond milk, herbal tea bags and tap water. I need to get better about that…
7. Sometimes I wish I had superhuman strength. I once saw this group of guys kick over the cup a homeless man was using to collect change. I helped him pick up his change and wanted to cry when I saw tears well up in his eyes. But beyond that, I wanted to go smack those guys around. That’s where the superhuman strength would have come in handy.
8. The only thing more flattering than someone loving the things I cook is for someone to laugh/cry at the things I write.
9. I used to have to think about my answer when someone asked me, “If you could meet anyone, living or not, who would it be?” Now, I know the answer, without hesitation: My children.
10. About No. 9: I can’t wait to see their faces and hear how they laugh.
11. I have a sixth sense about people. I have dreams that come to pass. And I sometimes know what ails a person before even they know. Call it psychic. Call it observant. I often call it weird.
12. Sometimes, if the arrangement is just right, the symphony makes me cry. And good music — no matter the genre– gives me goosebumps.
13. One of my favorite ways to spend a Saturday morning is at the farmers’ market. It’s something about that buzz, the smells, the technicolor produce and the sheer heterogeneousness of them that feels like humanity, if you could touch such a thing.
14. I like chocolate chip cookies without the chips. And, before you ask, no, that is not the same thing as a sugar cookie.
15. I think marijuana should be legalized. And not because I want to smoke it without having to serve jailtime. I just think it is even sillier than the prohibition of alcohol in the 1920s. I believe we would de-escalate marijuana-related violence and crime if we did…
16. I love BBC programming and have since I fell for Benny Hill when I was all of 4-5. I would sneak to watch it… My poor mum mom.
17. I have a green thumb. I adore my plants and fresh flowers make me smile. Totally worth $3-$4 every couple weeks at the farmer’s market.
18. I would rather live for 60 amazing, love- and fun-filled years than 120 so-so ones.
19. I enjoy urban settings. The suburbs can be a bit sterile. I like the reminder that we are all connected, no matter how far and fast we might try to run to the suburbs and how high we build the privacy fences.
20. I think there is something about pets that soothes your soul. Especially if it’s an insanely sweet pet like my baby, Bella.
21. This year, I removed “try” from my vocabulary. It is too limiting. I don’t “try.” I “do.”
22. I have a major affinity for the Atlantic Ocean and eventually want to reside in a country in the Caribbean if my soul mate agrees with it.
23. If I do move to the Caribbean, I want to open an eatery of some sort. The last time my sister and I went to St. Martin, we saw a bubble tea shop. “Sweet,” we thought. We stopped in for bubble tea only to be told that they had forgotten to make the tapioca pearls and, thusly, had no bubbles for the bubble tea. I could, at the very least, take all of the customers from that shop.
24. I chew on my bottom lip when I am stressed out. Thank goodness for yoga and for Carmex.
25. I really want to learn how to play cello and Stevie Wonder’s “Too High” makes me want to learn the drums.